Sunday, April 26, 2015

Listen

There are three instances in my life where the spirit has spoken to me so strongly and repeatedly that I knew I needed to listen. The first time was when Grandpa Loosli was going in for surgery and we were at a family home evening at Uncle Richards house. I felt the impression that I should hug Grandpa extra that night, tell him how much I loved him and sit near him and listen to him tell his stories. I listened to that prompting and gave him a big hug when I was time for us to leave. I told him how much I loved him. He went in for surgery that week and past away shortly thereafter. That was the last time I spoke to him. I was so thankful that I took the time to tell him how much I loved him and to give him a big hug one last time.
The second time was when I was asked to go on a pioneer trek for our singles ward. It was during the summer, I really did not want to go. I kept going back and forth about my decision. I had a strong impression that I should go, it kept coming back and nudging me forward. I kept fighting it and trying to figure out a way to get out of it. Finally I rolled my eyes and accepted to be a parent for the trek.
On the pioneer trek was when I first met and talked to Mike. That meeting and experience led to us dating and eventually getting married, the best decision I ever made. Thank goodness I listened.
The third time was the last time that you and dad visited me and my family in Colorado together. I had a nagging feeling that I should take a lot of pictures, pictures of the kids with you and dad. It was also just before your birthday and I made them a cake. We had the kids sing to you and I took a picture of you and dad in front of your cake. I took pictures of you playing a board game with Sophie and teaching Kennedy had to hand sew the edges of a pillow. You had prepared a whole easter egg hunt for our family since we missed the one with everyone in Utah. I have pictures of you helping Finn find eggs in our yard.  I remember panicking when I had the impression to take those pictures and make the most of the visit, it took me back to when I felt that same way about Grandpa. I didn't want it to mean that something terrible was going to happen. I remember you feeling sick that trip and not eating much. You said your stomach had been bothering you and the doctors couldn't figure it out. I was worried about you. I am so thankful that I listened to the spirit. I'm grateful that I had that precious last visit from you at our home. I'm thankful that I captured some of those sweet moments of you with the kids.






No comments:

Post a Comment